How to study in Germany

How to study in Germany

digiSchool helps you to prepare for your stay in Germany by providing information on the various procedures, grants and language tests that you can take to help you get your project off to a good start.

Going to study in Germany is an adventure that is waiting to happen! It may require you to brush up your language skills, as well as putting together a scholarship application to apply to the German Youth Office (GYO) or the Erasmus+ programme… During this time, you will also have to find accommodation, which is far from easy when you are not there to visit.

The language level needed to study in Germany

You have decided to study in Germany to improve your level of German, to discover a new culture and new traditions?  But do you have a sufficient level of German to be able to leave? As part of a European exchange program, you must show that you have a sufficient level of German to be able to go, which involves taking official language tests.

To test your level and improve your language skills, you can use the Altissia website, where the test is free of charge. However, you will have to pay for the lessons, but many online sites offer free help on this subject.

Language tests

There are a number of official tests and certifications that can prove your level of German:

Zertifikat Deutsch, designed for professionals.

TestDaF (Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache), a test to be taken for higher education in Germany, recognized at all German universities.

The Goethe-Zertifikat, available from levels A1 to C2

– the TestDaF (Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache), to be taken for higher education in Germany, recognized at all German universities and offered several times a year

– the DSH (Deutsche Sprachprûfung für den Hochschulzugang), for those who have not taken the TestDaF and who will this time be summoned to their university to take the test.

– the Goethe-Zertifikat, available from levels A1 to C2

Scholarships to study in Germany


The OFAJ offers scholarships for intensive German language courses to improve your German before you leave. The courses last three to four weeks in a language centre approved by the OFAJ. You can only get it if you are between 18 and 30 years of age, if you are a student or a professional on a study, work or internship stay in Germany.


The DAAD is the German Academic Exchange Service. It represents German higher education abroad. It is also the largest scholarship organisation in Germany.

It offers the most deserving German and foreign students, graduates and researchers more than one hundred support programmes. It finances year-round scholarships or internships.

The Erasmus+ programme

A student who participates in the Erasmus+ programme receives approximately 120 euros per month for study mobility. For a traineeship, the student will receive approximately 500 euros per month.

Financing your studies in Germany

To go to Germany for a year, you need a total budget of $8,000.

You have the right to buy the German student card (3$). This card will allow you to benefit from the same rights as German students (catering, preferential rates…). You just have to ask for it at the CNOUS which manages you.

You can also apply for the International Student Identity Card (ISIC), the only student card recognized worldwide. You can get it for 13$ on the ISIC website.

Alternatively, you can obtain a German student card from your host university by contacting the office of the German university AStA /UStA (Allgemeiner / Unabhängiger Studierendenausschuss).

What do I need to do to study in Germany?

As for all stays within the European Union (EU), you do not need a visa or a residence permit. Don’t forget your identity card or passport, you will need them.

However, if you want to live in Germany for more than three months, you will have to register with the German authorities. If you decide to move into your own home, you must register this with the local Residence Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt), along with your passport, a copy of the tenancy agreement and the completed form.

Living and working in Germany

Find a job in Germany

When you go to Germany you can find a job and work to finance your studies. To help you, you can visit the stellenmarkt website, which is the reference site for job offers in Germany.

Accommodation in Germany

If you are looking for accommodation in Germany, the Student Union will be happy to help you find a place to live. There are also student hostels, but places are very limited, so if you want to go away for a short time, you can register at a youth hostel.

For university accommodation, you will need to pay around 200$, 250$ for a shared flat and 400$ for a single studio flat.

Diploma equivalences with Germany

Holders of a foreign baccalaureate who have previously taken a language test can go directly to higher education in Allamagne.

For those who started their higher education studies in their home countries, the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) and the agreements on mutual recognition of diplomas greatly facilitate student mobility.

The European health insurance card

If you study in Germany, you are covered by the Social Security during your stay in Germany thanks to the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

The card must be requested at least 15 days before you leave for your student social security centre. This card will enable you to register for the German Public Health Care System.


Post Comment