Exotic Salmon Bowl
- 40 minutes
All the way from Hawaii, the Poke Bowl is like a vacation in a bowl. Many restaurants specialize in these healthy bowls, the spearhead of healthy cooking. The preparation is super simple and fast. A Poke Bowl consists of marinated fish, lots of vegetables and rice for the satiating side.
Nutritional value: (per portion)
- 733 kcal
- 67 g
- 39 g
- 33 g
For the salmon:
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. hot sauce of your choice (e.g. sriracha)
- 1 b.w. Peanut butter
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 piece of ginger, chopped
- 100 g salmon
For the Bowl:
- 70 g sushi rice
- ½ avocado, cucumber, radish, edamame, spring onion, sesame
- Start with the marinade. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, hot sauce, peanut butter, water and ginger.
- Cut the salmon into pieces and marinate in the bowl of marinade. Set aside in a cool place.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Dice or julienne the vegetables (avocado, cucumber, radish, spring onion, etc.).
- Put the rice in a bowl and add the salmon and vegetables. Sprinkle with sesame seeds as desired.
- Enjoy your meal!
What do you put in a poke bowl?
The base of a Poke is the rice (sushi, basmati, wholemeal, etc.). The star of this dish is the marinated fish, which adds taste and texture to the dish. In the vegan version, it is of course tofu that replaces fish. To top it all off, fresh vegetables are added (soy sprouts, cucumber, radish, avocado, carrots, spring onion, cabbage, seaweed, etc.). The more colourful, the better!
Are Poke Bowls healthy?
Absolutely! When it comes to “eating colour”, the Poke Bowl offers a whole range of options. Poke Bowls are high in unsaturated fats (salmon, avocado), complex carbohydrates (rice), proteins (salmon, edamame) and vitamins (vegetables).
When to eat?
How long you have to wait between eating and training is up to you. Each body functions differently. As a reference value, after a low-fat and low-fibre meal, 2-3 breaks between meals and sports work pretty well for most athletes. For some, one hour is enough, others need four. Try to listen to your body and see what it can handle and how, in order to develop a good feeling for your body’s needs.
The ideal time for a pre-workout snack is usually 15 to 30 minutes before the start of training. If you eat it too early, your energy spike will be over before the work-out has even started. And choose something that doesn’t weigh you down.
Do you hesitate to eat before or after exercise? Protein before or after your workout? Knowing that eating after exercise is just as important.
What to eat before sport: our bottom line
- It’s always good to have at least one snack before going to practice.
- What you eat should be easy to digest.
- Plan your meal 2-3 hours before going to the gym.
- Your meal should be adapted to your goal.